Friday, April 17, 2009

A rant and squee about the upcoming Half Blood Prince movie

http://www.hulu.com/watch/68383/movie-trailers-harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince---trailer-3

I, for one, am psyched about the movie, and approve of most of the changes they seem to have made going by the trailers.

By the looks of the new trailer, they've changed a lot of things, and added some lines and even entire scenes that weren't in the book, but I think it will actually work with this one. I kind of thought the book was too short, so some additional action would be welcome if you ask me.

I think this is the key difference: The movie is designed to get us pumped up for Deathly Hallows, so it's really badass and high-thrill. The book, I think, was almost the calm before the storm, one final year of semi-normality in the wizarding world before it got wrenched open. So where the book was kind of a transition into the darker themes of the Deathly Hallows, where the evil and darkness and creepy things built gradually throughout, the movie throws it all at us, as if to say "Voldemort's back, bitches, and he's kicking ass!" Probably it's an excuse to get more screen time for the famous actors
like Ralph Fiennes and Helena Bonnom Carter (I probably didn't spell those right...), but overall I think it will make the movie all kinds of spectacular. One thing has been prominently absent from the trailers, though: Weasley's Wizard Fucking Wheezes. The best not cut out that joke shop.

No comments: